1) Exercise ‘JALRAHAT’ recently commenced in which state?
4. Madhya Pradesh
Explanation: It is a joint initiative of the state government and the armed forces that is being led by GAJRAJ Corps with full support from HQ Eastern Command. The exercise ended on June 30. The name ‘Jalrahat’ is a clubbed name of the relief works that will be carried by all three branches of the Indian Armed Forces, namely the Army, Navy and Air Force. Indian Navy will be carrying out Exercise Prakampana based on relief and assistance in case of a super cyclone at Vizag, Andhra Pradesh in August 2016. Indian Air Force will be undertaking Exercise Sahayta based on relief and assistance in case of a major earthquake at Bhuj, Gujarat.
2) Which country launched its second Shijian-16 series satellite recently?
4. North Korea
5. South Korea
Explanation: It was carried by a Long March-4B rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China. This satellite is intended for space environment measurements, radiation and its effects as well as technology testing. First introduced in May 1999, Long March-4B rockets are used to launch sun-synchronous orbit meteorological satellites. The first Shijian-16 satellite was launched in October 2013.
3) Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) has started how many long-term monitoring plots in the Himalayan region to document the impact of climate change on animals.?
Explanation: The project will be funded by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change. Species like fish, butterflies, bees and other insects will be monitored for the changes in their distribution due to climatic changes. The current monitoring will be compared to the old data of ZSI in terms of climate change on the survival of the species. The project will run for three years in states like West Bengal, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh.
4) A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and Royal Civil Service Commission (RCSC). RCSC belongs to which country?
Explanation: The MoU aims to strengthen the existing relationship between UPSC and RCSC. It will facilitate sharing of experience and expertise of both the parties in the area of recruitment. As per the MoU draft, Sharing of experience and expertise in Civil Service matters, Sharing of expertise on use of Information Technology (IT) and Digitization of records, storage and display of historical records will be done.
5) June is marked and celebrated as National Statistics Day across India to create awareness about the importance of statistics in daily life and in the process of planning and development.?
Explanation:The theme this year is ‘Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare’. The day is celebrated annually on the occasion of birth anniversary of India’s eminent statistician Late Prof Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis. He founded the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) and was the first Indian statistician to receive global recognition.